Suffering from a neurological injury can be a very traumatic experience for both the victim and their loved ones. In most cases, it can be difficult to know what your legal options are as well as the appropriate actions to take in handling such situations. The neurological injury lawyers at Taverniti | Vashishth Personal Injury Lawyers in Toronto can provide the assistance and support you need to comprehend your options and help you to get the neurological injury compensation you deserve. Our attorneys will explain what constitutes a neurological injury in the eyes of the law, the different types of neurological injuries, the causes of neurological injuries, and then neurological injury compensation to which you may be entitled.
In broad terms, neurological injuries are defined as brain or head injuries in which a blunt or forceful trauma is administered to the head and causes a mild or severe injury. Typically, these injuries are not congenital or hereditary; rather, they are acquired later in life through physical traumas to the head or other means.
Types of Neurological Injuries
Different types of neurological injury cases that our lawyers can assist with include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): includes Acquired Brain Injury (ABI), Closed Brain Injury, Open Brain Injury
- Acquired Brain Disorder: these can be acquired brain disorders such as Multiple Sclerosis, Huntington’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, etc. or it can also include physical brain injuries
- Anoxic Event: this includes any kind of injury that would cause a severe shock to the system, such as drowning, electric shock, drug overdose, kidney failure, cardiac arrest, etc.
- Second Impact Syndrome: this occurs when a person who has already suffered one brain injury subsequently suffers a second brain injury
- Diffuse Axonal Injury: this is caused by a strong shaking or rotation of the head either on impact of an accident or during an assault
- Coup Contrecoup Injury: this is when contusions appear on both sides of the brain due to blunt trauma
- Contusion: bruises that appear on the brain
- Concussion: severe nerve damage to the brain caused by blunt trauma
- Shaken Baby Syndrome: when an infant suffers brain damage because they were shaken too hard.
- Locked in Syndrome: when full body paralysis occurs and a person is only able to move their eyes
Causes of Neurological Injuries
As mentioned above, most physical neurological injuries have external causes. This could be the result of an assault, a car accident, or even a sports injury to the head. Many experts have stated that one of the top causes of neurological injuries are high-contact sports, such as football, in which the head consistently and constantly makes direct contact with blunt objects and even other players. If proper protective measures are not adhered to, the results can be severe and even tragic. We want to ensure that if you or someone you know suffers any type of neurological injury, that they are taken care of to the highest letter of the law and that any and all guilty parties are rightfully reprimanded.
Taverniti | Vashishth LLP Neurological Injury Lawyers in Toronto
Taverniti | Vashishth LLP professionally and confidentially handles different types of neurological injury claims caused by car and road accidents, slip and falls, and even assault. We are equipped to handle the most complex legal issues arising from your case.